This summer, the City of Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, and Albuquerque Public Schools are working together to ensure every child 1-18 years old has free Grab & Go access to meals. They are available Monday – Friday, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., until early August.
We started visiting the APS Grab & Go lunch sites a few months ago. It gave my girls something to look forward to, and gave me an excuse to get them out of their jammies. When school “ended” and summer “started,” I was thoroughly confused about the status of our neighborhood lunch site.
I found the Summer 2020 Serving Sites Google map is the best way to find a lunch site near you (no matter which organization is serving there). It’s easy to use on a phone or computer. Pro tip: do not turn off the APS sites listed! Originally, I incorrectly thought those were carried over from the school year and couldn’t understand why there wasn’t a lunch site nearby.
I highly recommend stopping by one of the 20 Story Time in the Park locations. From June 8 – July 16,Monday – Thursday, teachers distribute free bags of new books and reading materials to families at various Grab & Go lunch sites. Reading with your kiddos over the summer gives you the opportunity to connect and also helps prevent summer learning loss. Stop by if you can!
Remember to wear your mask while picking up food, no matter if you’re in a car, on a bike or walking by.
Follow the links below for more information about your neighborhood Grab & Go lunch site:
- The City of Albuquerque provides meals in city community centers, parks, schools, apartment complexes, public housing, churches and at non-profit organizations.
- Rhubarb and Elliot is serving lunch at 21 community center sites. Here is a list of their delivery routes.
- Visit the City’s website or call 3-1-1 for menus and more information.
- The Bernalillo County Summer Lunch Program provides meals at 22 community centers, parks, and county facilities in unincorporated parts of Bernalillo County that are outside Albuquerque city limits.
- Albuquerque Public Schools provides meals at 10 APS schools.